View Single Post
Old 04-13-2016, 08:00 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragtop262 View Post
A few months ago, I had been feeling pretty good for quite a while, and decided to quit some of my supplements that I felt weren’t doing anything. Then I tried cutting back on my gabapentin dosage and at that point my symptoms got much worse. So, I went back to my higher dose of gabapentin – but didn’t see much improvement. Then, one at a time I went back on all of the supplements I had quit – and still no improvement.
After that, the only other change I could remember making was cutting down my iodine supplementation from 300 mcg to 150 mcg/day (kelp tablets). Iodine was one of the first supplements I started taking because I came upon the old Jack Kruse article on PN fairly early in my journey. But I haven’t seen anyone else recommend iodine supplementation for PN – so I assumed that there really wasn’t much merit in it.
Well, finally I pushed my iodine dosage back up to 300 mcg/day and within a few days I’m feeling somewhat better. Too soon to know if it really is making a difference or if I just happen to be having a few random “good days”. But, I would be interested in anyone else’s experiences and/or opinions on iodine supplementation for people with no conditions indicating the need for it other than SFN. (Is it helpful, is it bad for you, how much is enough, how much is too much, etc.)
The research I’ve done is very contradictory – some articles say you really need to be careful or you could induce thyroid problems, etc. But, other say you should take massive quantities to get the best effect. I’m assuming that the truth lies somewhere in between, as it usually does – but wanted to get some opinions from the group.
I'll let you know soon what happens with me. I was recently found to be iodine deficient and I am stopping some other supplements and getting ready to start 300 a day.
Healthgirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote