View Single Post
Old 04-13-2016, 12:55 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks for the reply, Mark! I appreciate it a lot.

“I think it would help if you determined what aptitudes you have at present. Wanting to help others vs having an aptitude to help others could be important. The important part is to try to identify your strengths and work with them.”

My strengths: Engaging in conversation with people one on one and coming up with solutions/work arounds to a situation. I can empathize with people very well and have a problem-solving mind. I also am a good songwriter (I play guitar). Though I wouldn’t say that I am at the professional level. I would say I’m more of an intermediate player with a good ability to song write.

“So, determining what work environments you can tolerate would be a start.”

Quiet settings. Very quiet. No extra stimulation than needed.

“An occupational psychological assessment may be helpful.”

Where can I get one of these done?

“I just believe one needs to find something to stay busy, even if it does not pay well. SSDI allows one to make $1070 per month and still receive SSDI benefits. That would allow 100 hours of $10 per hour work per month.”

I will ask my physicians what type of jobs are available for a person with limitations like mine. My psychiatrist mentioned in my last appointment that “Your condition is a full-time job.” I don’t exactly agree as of right now. I feel like I can be somewhat productive in society given the right setting and situation. I honestly just want to find meaning in life, and I believe finding a job will help with that.

Also a final question, Would it hurt to apply for SSDI right now? My uncle has also suggested that I look into it.

SuperElectric, thanks for the reply. I do in fact have schizophrenia. The episode is more like seasons lol. I have had lasting symptoms for the majority of a year since being diagnosed. Currently, I see a psychologist as well as a psychiatrist. I also have a supporting family and great friends. I also am happy with the medication I am taking. Right now, the schizo symptoms are mild.
JBuckl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote