View Single Post
Old 04-15-2016, 11:29 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Totally different understanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules A View Post
I think this is an excellent point. Being pampered as mentioned multiple times in the OP isn't something that ED staff have the luxury to provide so if there were some compassionate nurses going above and beyond I'd also remember that when the entire experience is considered.

OPs symptoms certainly sound worthy of a trip to the ED although do keep in mind there are car accidents, critically sick babies, strokes, heart attacks and drug overdoses that all take precedence over pain complaints in the ED. Not ideal for the person in severe pain but just the way it has to go to triage and save the lives of those who are in immediate danger of dying.
I took the original poster to relay the events as they happened but did not see anything in the post relating to triage. I also did not think the poster was looking for pampering, but was "offered" a small amount by some caring staff. I see no harm in medical personnel showing compassion. Personally, I don't consider compassion a luxury, but I do agree that there is not always time for it in a crisis situation.

I have tried to see why some posters seem to feel that the original poster had unrealistic expectations. I just don't see it. Maybe it is a matter of personal perceptions. Having worked in a hospital, including ICU and CCU, I have seen unrealistic expectations but I just do not see it in the post here. Just my perception and opinion. I have NOT worked in an ER so maybe that is why I see things differently.

One thing that may not have been clear, at least not to me until further explained, but it is my understanding now that this was not just an ER visit, but was extended into an admission to the hospital, but no beds available on the floor, so the patient remained in the emergency department.

My "take" on the original post was the objectionable manner in which the physician spoke to the patient and family. I took that as the MAIN point of the entire post, well at least to me. That the physician made an immediate jump, unsubstantiated, to the idea that the patient was using "drugs" in an unwarranted manner. Even after being told by family members to the contrary, the physician's snide remark of "to your knowledge" was totally uncalled for and very unprofessional in my opinion. To think it is one thing as a physician, but to utter it to the family is another. That is so disrespectful of the patient and the family. The physician was calling the patient a liar.

Expectations ??? I surely do NOT expect a physician to call me a liar when they do not know me nor have any evidence to make that assumption.
Hopeless is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SallyC (04-15-2016), Starznight (04-18-2016)