View Single Post
Old 04-15-2016, 01:32 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Repeat concussions "myth"

Hey Everybody

Long time, I have been following all the threads on here and always a ton of good information as well as experience so thanks for all that.

Firstly, I don't think repeat concussions is a myth, I am writing this because this week I was sent through work to attend a conference and one of the speakers was a "chronic concussion' clinic. I am currently in the care of a concussion clinic that needs no quotation marks if you catch my drift.

I wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on this, during the speaking, it was essentially indicated by the Psychologist (non PHD) that anything that persists past a few months is almost entirely psych-- IE you believe its incurable and therefore it is that. It was also said that after 12 weeks of therapy, balance exercises pacing exercises, you know, all the stuff we have all been through that its cured and anything remaining is something else.

She also said that having more concussions has no bearing on the long term effects and went on to say that unless you are a professional athlete experiencing daily head trauma that there is nothing to worry about.

While I was not a professional athlete, I played high level contact sports until
a couple years ago and my concussions have been getting worse, and closer together and that is not something I am making up.

While I have very little concern about CTE and the like, I am almost positive everything I have read and been told flies in the face of what she is saying, I guess what I am asking is it worth my time to send this "doctors" office my thoughts, or how you guys would handle it.

AM I wrong, is it completely curable for everyone?

This was only the tip of the iceberg, I sat there with my jaw on the floor as she said these things.

Well I was just beyond frustrated, and she is probably lucky I am as far recovered as I am or they would have had to haul me out of there.

Thanks for being my sounding board please give me your take

Have a great weekend.