View Single Post
Old 04-16-2016, 12:24 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

There is no known way to raise concussion thresholds. Research is mixed about successive concussions. Some suggests a lessening threshold but others suggest there is not a lessening threshold. From what I can tell, the threshold limits are likely genetic. Some have the genetics to return to pre-morbid levels, others do not and start a decline in threshold limits.

Extrapolating from the various research discoveries, it sounds to me like the genetic struggle with neuro-fibrillary tangles is the linchpin. Some brains can restore proper neuro-fibrillary tangle management where others do not. This fits with the concept that elderly who do not exhibit dementia by their 70's will rarely develop dementia. Most dementias are believe to have a neuro-fibrillary tangle malfunction.

The hope for the future is that they can treat the neuro-fibrillary tangle condition.

The other treatments they think would help have to be administered in those first 12 to 24 or even 48 hours. This is before many concussions present as concussions other than knowing an impact took place. It is inconceivable that every head impact would be treated prophylatically in case a concussion took place. The cost to treat every impact would be too high to justify such a protocol.

So, at the present, the most important issue is proper care in the first 12 to 48 hours after injury. It can slow the cascade of decline due to the physical and chemical stress.

The glutamate concept appears to have a chicken or egg question. Is the glutamate a result of something else or does it cause the problem directly ? Either way, it is valuable to not increase glutamate in the body by avoiding the free glutamate that is in so many processed foods.

The big question in my mind is: Why is she suffering so many concussions ? Is there a way to reduce the risk of these impacts ? The occasional bump is unavoidable but even they can be reduced by learning to move with more conscious purpose rather that sub-consciously. I know that when I am more sub-conscious with my movements, my risk is higher.

I've had to learn to stop and think about what I am doing. Over time, it has become an way of life and my accidental bumps have declined greatly. I am not paranoid of moving. I'm just more purposeful with my movements. I have used this discipline to avoid back injuries when doing heavy lifting. I stop, prepare to lift the load, then lift it safely. I do the same getting up from a chair but because if I move to fast, I may cause a moment of dizziness or clumsiness.

I hope she can understand how to use these concepts.

My best to you both.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote