View Single Post
Old 04-17-2016, 04:18 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Yeah, again I wasn't going to the ER with the expectation of being pampered and coddled and given a cookie. I was however in a massive amount of pain that was starting to cause symptoms of shock, I was severly dehydrated, and my kidneys were starting to shut down, so it's not exactly like I went there with a paper cut and I'm upset that they called me a druggy.

I went to the ER with a very real medical emergency, one that ended with my being admitted to the hospital, as they tried to rehydrate me and pump me full of antibiotics to kill the infection that was rather rapidly becoming life threatening. Especially while I continued to be in massive amounts of pain as they really couldn't pump fluids into me fast enough against the cold sweat causing me to lose them immediately. This compounded the kidney failure and hindered the antibiotic from working.

That really is even more so why I was upset with the admitting doctor for calling me a liar and saying there was nothing wrong with me, when let me tell you, when your internal organs start shutting down, you know there's something seriously wrong.

But yes I liked the nurses going the extra little mile for me once they knew who my admitting doctor was. I won't lie, it was nice to get a little bit of spoiling after probably my most horrible experience in life. That they joked around with me, checked on me frequently, and were constantly bringing me lots of juice to drink even running to the cafeteria for me when they didn't have the juice on hand up front by the nurses station... it was apprieciated greatly. Though most of their pampering was in the form of simply joking around with me and making sure that my tordol didn't wear off. And of course telling the doctor what for when it was time for me to go home and she wasn't going to give me a script for tordol despite my still being in a lot of pain.

But I didn't ask the nurses to do all that for me, I just was lucky they were willing to and had the time to do so.

But again, my only expectation with an ER is that they provide basic medical care, determine with some knowledge as to whether I need to be admitted to the hospital or if I can be released, and treat me with a reasonable amount of respect. I don't expect them to hand everything to me on a silver platter, or to kick someone dying of a heart attack out of their bed so I can get called back 5 minutes after I arrive. I really don't mind waiting (I hate it as much as anyone else when I'm in pain or sick as a dog, but then so does everyone else) but once I'm called back, and once the doctor is able to spare the time to see me, I expect basic care to be delivered.

And if the ER doctor so deems it necessary for me to be admitted to the hospital, I don't expect the admitting doctor to call me a liar flat out. To treat me like some kind of criminal, and pretty much go out of her way to humiliate and torture me, especially in front of my family members, and to beat me on top of all of that, only to come to the realization that I wasn't a druggy, but did in fact have a serious medical condition going on. That is really the only thing that had me angry over the whole trip to the ER. Was the admitting doctor and the way she treated me. That's all.
Hopeless (04-17-2016), SallyC (04-18-2016)