Old 07-06-2007, 10:53 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrett622 View Post
Slow-Mag contains Magnesium that is much more easily absorbed. It can be a tad expensive: WalMart----> 9.88 for a bottle of 60 and it does include calcium. Dose according to the bottle is two tablets once a day with food.

I'm wondering if I shouldn't bump my dose up. Any help, MrsD or anyone else familiar with Magnesium?

Calcium - 212mg
Magnesium - 128mg
Chloride - 373mg
The strengths you post Jarrett are for 2 tablets. The general guideline is for people to take up to 1/2 the RDA in a supplement...this assumes you are getting some from food. Since the RDA for adults is about 400mg that would be 200 if you think you really need it. I always suggest people start at one tablet of Slow Mag twice a day in divided doses, since there is active transport in the intestine and you don't want to overload it at one time.
I was just at Costco getting my jinxed blood pressure RX filled and they had generic slow-mag (Mag64) for $4.87 /60....that is 2 dollars less than WalMart where I usually get it.
I use the generic typically to save $$.

If you feel good at 2 a day, then that is all you need. I wouldn't go over 4 a day however. Using high dose magnesium should be monitored by a doctor, esp if you have any decreased kidney functions.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote