View Single Post
Old 04-18-2016, 12:12 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouLou1978 View Post
hi bluesfan, how is your NLD SFN? i also took metronidazole twice before symptom onset. My full body burning has subsided, but getting shooting pains in toes and hands, also throat is burning after fizzy drinks and seems brown sugar now.

My neuro is calling mine NLD SFN as DRG is difficult to examine.

I am really keen to know if there are other causes which give a NLD presentation other than Ganglionopathy.?
Hi LouLou

The neurologist I saw diagnosed my neuropathy simply as "polyneuropathy" - which I think is a fairly generic term. Unfortunately I'm in a country with a public health system so I've only had the basic NCV & EMG tests (both negative) - further testing, eg punch biopsy, hasn't been offered - so the SFN isn't confirmed and as for it being NLD or not I really don't know.

But your question got me wondering and I did a little searching and here's a couple of links which mention NLD SFN which may clarify things.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3086960/
(Paragraph 2 under "Definition of Small Fibre Neuropathy")

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20433606
(This is just a brief abstract but it was a study about the difference between non-length dependent and distal SFN)

At a rough interpretation of the figures it seems about 5% of those with SFN will have the NLD type.

At the moment mine is a deep bone pain in some places with burning feet constantly - I have permanent numbness in my outer left foot & hand and muscle atrophy in my left hand. Taking a shower will cause my skin to sting for about 3hrs. I have a myriad of other symptoms which may or may not be due to the neuropathy.

Last edited by bluesfan; 04-18-2016 at 12:13 AM. Reason: spacing
bluesfan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote