View Single Post
Old 04-19-2016, 08:44 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Immediately following the block there should be an increase in temperature to the affected limb(s). This increase is indicates a "successful" block. By successful I mean the proper nerves were targeted. Often times a thermometer strip is placed on the feet to show the increase in temperature.

However you should not be experiences a great amount of discomfort. Personally I would call you PM and describe what you are feeling. I would expect an increase in warmth and some redness but it would be hard to say how much without knowing your baseline. My first block I had an increase in temperature but it was hard to tell if there was a color change because my baseline is red/purple with extreme swelling (I posted some pics in the picture sticky). My second block was ruled unsuccessful because there was no change in pain or any other symptoms.

My overall personal advice is to contact your doctor and see what they suggest. Most PM offices will call a day or two after the procedure as a follow up and this is the perfect time to tell them what is going on. They usually will talk to the doctor and then call you back with recommendations. With my PM the nurse called and I found this to be best because this eliminates having to leave a message for the nurse to have her/him call you then explain your problem , have them talk to the doc and then call you back again. However if your office does not do this or you feel you need to talk to them ASAP then by all means please call them.

You know your body better than anyone else. You know what is normal for you and remember what may be normal for me (or anyone else) may not be normal for you. Don't ever be afraid to trust your gut. Good luck and keep us posted!
NurseKris is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
birchlake (04-22-2016), Hopeless (04-19-2016), IamJenn (04-24-2016), PamelaJune (04-19-2016), PurpleFoot721 (04-22-2016)