View Single Post
Old 04-20-2016, 09:42 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Boaty,

Welcome to NeuroTalk. You've come to the right place with your question.

I doubt you will get much help from any normal doctor. You would need to find a doctor who thinks outside the box.

Yes, mTBI effects can last decades or a lifetime. But, we can still live full lives even with our struggles.

I was injured at 10 years old in 1965. I have never been the same since. I was unconscious for about 30 minutes and hospitalized for 3 days due to slurred speech. My personality changed. My academic skills became a roller coaster ride. I started a lifelong roller coaster ride in and out of depression.

Back in the 60's, nobody knew what to do with me or even took a shot at understanding my struggles. Today, you have a lot more available.

I have had subsequent head impacts which increased the roller coaster ride.

I have learned a lot of work-arounds and accommodations.

The most important things were, brain health nutrition including supplements, designing my occupational pursuits around my strengths and weaknesses, accepting that I have some weaknesses that are due to injury and not personality/behavior, and understanding that my personality struggles are my responsibility with a need to be accepting and open about them with others so they can help if they choose.

Regarding you. Without knowing more specifics, I take some shots.

ADHD may be a false diagnosis. The concussed brain can have similar symptoms to ADHD but the cause and remedy is different. In PCS form, it would be called 'high distractability' due to the brain's inability to filter out distractions. My brain tries to process and make sense of everything, auditory, visual and tactile. I have to choose the environments and activities to pursue or I risk trouble.

The personality part is likely due to a loss in ability to properly recognize and understand social cues and facial expressions. This is due to an injured part of the brain. We tend to misread people or over reacts or a have myriad of other struggles.

My recommendation would be to look for a Neuro Psychologist with a good track record and understanding of long term struggles with brain injury. A neuro rehab hospital would be a good place to start asking.

I'm concerned that you may be taking a drug cocktail that is working against itself. Adderall is a powerful stimulant. The injured brain needs to settle, not be stimulated. An anti-depressant tries to stabilize chemistry. Could the Adderall be working against that ???

What meds you are taking ?

Are you under the care of a psychiatrist or other doctor who is prescribing your meds ?

Good sleep with all of the stages is extremely important. I bet your bad sleep days are miserable. Mine are.

Here are some places I found. I know the concepts to look for. Multiple disciplines/specialties is usually good.

http://weillcornellconcussion.org/about-us/our-team
Barry Jordan, M.D. in White Plains looks interesting. The drive would be worth it.

NYU does research but their web page is not exciting.
http://nyulangone.org/locations/concussion-center
NYU has group psychological interventions. Groups can be helpful.

I have lots to say but this is a good start.

btw, A brain injury support group with a caregivers group would be a great find. Wives need support too. My wife gets great benefit from our brain injury support group.

What kind of job do you have in the family business ?

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Boaty McBoatface (04-21-2016)