View Single Post
Old 04-24-2016, 05:18 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Update on diet and PCS

Hey all! I posted maybe a month or so ago about the changes I made to my diet. Before I did this someone on this forum linked me to an anti-inflammatory diet, but I didn't go this route. Not that long after, I had a couple high refined-carb days, making my head felt awful, so I cut most of them out going to a ketogenic diet (high fat/very low carb).

I came to say that my progress has continued to be great! I was struggling with head sensitivity to shaking, which would bring on a range of PCS symptoms. I can't tell you if it was eliminating the refined carbs (flour/sugar) or if it was the addition of fats/protein (or both), but that was the turning point in my recovery. I'm not all the way better, meaning I still don't feel like I should be headbanging or doing things that really jostle my head, but it isn't ruling my life anymore. I've read a little about the "cascading effects" after concussion, but after my recent experience I think there is evidence to suggest lingering inflammation was the culprit in this cast...the ketogenic diet is anti-inflammatory. If you're still having trouble with sensitivity I would suggest either trying keto (I can point you to some good resources), or an anti-inflammatory diet. In addition to the positive progress in my PCS, there are a number of benefits with this kind of diet as well, weight loss, stable blood sugar, insulin sensitivity...etc.

The most frustrating thing about it is that both neurologists I saw didn't truly understand the head shaking sensitivity, and by looking through this forum, those symptoms are not uncommon. One suggested I have to "give it time," and the other wanted to put me on a nasty preventative migraine medication (topamax). Now I understand finding a doc that truly understands concussions/PCS.
metmike07 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Laupala (04-24-2016), red90 (04-23-2017)