View Single Post
Old 04-25-2016, 04:05 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Default good question...

I often wonder the same thing but feel I'm guilty of transposing my human feelings onto the birds. I felt such anguish when the Bush stone curlew was abandoned by the parents in the scorching hot car park here earlier in the year. I wondered what it was feeling and if it was hungry and if it was lonely.

Just yesterday in my apartment there was a huge bang and I raced outside thinking a palm frond had fallen on something, but it was 2 little black birds (not sure yet what type - I need to look it up) that had flown into the glass railing that surrounds the patio above. They both fell stunned onto my patio.
One couldn't move at all. The other kept trying to fly but kept flying into my glass doors and back into the glass surround of the patio.

Once I realized they were in dire trouble and trapped in a small area between glass, I calmly and gently picked the stronger one up and cupped in my hands and after a little while I placed it gently on a railing and off it flew.

I hesitantly picked up the 2nd one that I thought was really damaged. I didn't want to put that one on the railing in case it fell off and down to the unit below, so I put it in the pebbled garden that is just off my balcony beyond the glass panelling. He took a while but finally flew off into the rainforest beyond.

It was an amazing feeling. I could feel their little heart beats and they were looking at me with their beady little bird eyes lol but it was as if they "knew" I was helping and they didn't struggle at all. I kept so calm that I think it helped.

I remember learning on the Cornell site about anthropomorphism. I guess it is more about instinct than "feeling".
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
kiwi33 (04-25-2016)