View Single Post
Old 04-25-2016, 05:21 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineD View Post
Dear PN Friends,

As you may remember I have profound PN in my legs and feet.

Last year I realized that I had small fiber neuropathy in my arms, hands, fingers, face, lips and tongue.

The pain in my finger tips was like needles jabbing into them.

My neurologist prescribed Gabapentin, and finally at 3600 mg I found relief of the worst symptoms. My face still tingles as I get closer to my next dosage (I divide 3600 mg into three times a day).

What I'm trying to understand is what to expect? Will this SFN progress somehow?

In addition to the discomfort, are there other disabling features to SFN?

I don't have PN in my arms (I've been tested twice).

The PN in my legs and feet has not progressed up my body into my thighs (which was my fear when it was first diagnosed as profound 6 years ago).

It seems that SFN is discussed here a great deal, and I hope there are people who an help me understand what is going on and what to expect.

Hugs, ElaineD
The thing is... no one knows what to expect. Both of my neurologists say it can go three ways.
1. It can slowly resolve and not come back
2. It can come in flares of bad and then a little better but never resolve and continue on like that forever.
3. It can progress.

They watch each case and since this is a relatively new diagnosis, we are all guinea pigs. There are SO many causes and when the cause isn't found, there are only pain meds to manage it. When the cause is found, it is sometimes autoimmune and therefore immunosuppressants would be used. When the cause is toxicity, it can resolve when the toxin is gone or the damage can be irreversible. If the cause is deficiency of vitamins or minerals, it might repair with correcting the deficiency, but again, the nerves might be too damaged. The real answer is that they just don't know what will happen with this. There are also infectious causes which can resolve with the proper antibiotic. It is very frustrating. Sorry.
Healthgirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bluesfan (04-25-2016), ElaineD (05-29-2016), indigo (05-30-2016), ShaggyChic_1201 (04-25-2016), St George 2013 (04-28-2016)