View Single Post
Old 04-29-2016, 06:18 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Papers on ITT for PWPs

Prior to my interest in "variability of cadence" (see previous posts), I had an existing interest in the application of interval training techniques (ITT) to high-cadence cycling for the benefit of PWPs.

My interest in this combination was triggered by a post from Conductor71 (the originator of this thread) in which she said: "Researchers keep looking at vigorous vs. moderate; maybe a combo like interval training is even better for us?" (post #137 on 11-08-2011). I was further inspired by a post from TexasTom (post #325 on 06-26-2015) in which he described his adoption of a 30s/30s duty cycle for use with his motorized Exercycle.

I've been searching for papers which consider this combination but have so far found only three.

The first paper is titled "Immediate effects of high-speed cycling intervals on bradykinesia in Parkinson's disease" (Oct 2014). The exercise session involved participants cycling at a self-selected fast pedaling cadence for the first 15 seconds of every minute for 20 minutes.

The second paper is titled "Interval training-induced alleviation of rigidity and hypertonia in patients with Parkinson's disease is accompanied by increased basal serum brain-derived neurotrophic factor" (2015). The exercise session comprised eight 5-minute duty cycles. Each duty cycle consisted of 3 minutes cycling at >= 60 rpm (preferably at 80-90 rpm) and 2 minutes at =< 60 rpm.

The third paper is titled "Enhanced Exercise Therapy in Parkinson’s disease: A comparative effectiveness trial" (2016). The exercise session involved participants being encouraged to increase their cadence up to 80 rpm (with music) for 1 minute bouts, followed by 2-3 minutes of easy spinning, for a total of 20 minutes.

Is anyone aware of any other papers which consider the combination of ITT, high-cadence cycling, and PD?
jeffreyn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eds195 (04-29-2016), wendy s (04-29-2016)