View Single Post
Old 04-29-2016, 11:38 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Starznight,

Your post was excellent. Yes, there are times when we don't know if something is an emergency or not, which is what I was trying to convey in my response to Kitty's post.

It is not always clear cut. Patients do not always know if their symptoms are life-threatening or not.

My thoughts are "When it doubt, check it out."

There are so many stories of people ignoring symptoms with dire consequences.

But you also have the flip side where ER's are inundated with non-emergencies, anything from a hangnail to a foot blister.

The only thing I was trying to say is we now have various resources available and there is a time and place for each to be of benefit. The TRICK is knowing when to use which type of service.

You are so correct that there are times when something seems very minor but is actually something very serious. Even a simple foot blister CAN become something serious, especially for a diabetic. And as you posted, arm pain may not be a simple pulled or sore muscle, but instead be a fatal heart attack.

What appears to be a simple cold could be pneumonia and become fatal.

I worked with a young woman that died at home while on the telephone with her mother. She told her mother she had a bad headache. What she had was an aneurysm that was rupturing in her brain and she died while on the phone with her mother.

So, yes, very simple everyday symptoms, can be VERY serious. It is very difficult to know when to seek medical care and from what sources. It is not always a simple decision. But, again, the flipside is we can't run to the ER every time we sneeze.

If I went running to an ER every time I have "chest pain" (angina), I would be making the trip constantly. I DO fear that one day, it won't just be angina, but actually may be a full blown heart attack and fatal. I hope I make the decision to call 911 if that day comes, but, if I don't and I die at home, maybe I wouldn't have been saved in time anyway.

I hope I will make the right decision and seek treatment when necessary as I am the one that will have to live (or die) with my decision. Knowing WHEN it is more than angina may be difficult but I hope to realize at that time, I DO need to call 911.
Hopeless is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
doydie (04-30-2016)