Thread: Kids Today....
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2016, 09:19 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

It's been a journey getting to the point of being able to take care of the 2 yr old that's for sure . But she's been used to gramma's "boo-boo's" for a while now. The DSD was living with us for a few months at first so the little one got a chance to understand that when it's just gramma and her around she need to be extra careful. (not necessarily better behaved, but she's less of a risk taker when it's just gramma around) When the DH gets home all bets are off when it comes to standing on chairs, jumping off furniture, running down the hall at full speed with her head covered by a blanket, going into the kitchen while he's cooking...

But when it's just the two of us, if I'm cooking I need only tell her "gramma's cooking" and she knows the entire kitchen is off limits. And it helps to give me peace of mind too that our stove is on the completely opposite side of the entrance to the kitchen. But it's amazing how well kids can adapt to the needs of their caregivers. I mean my mom, was really upset when she found out, but when I was 2 my grandmother used to watch me and I'd set up her medication for the week.

Nowadays could you imagine letting a 2 yr old play with pills and be responsible for putting them in an organizer?! Which yeah I'm a bit guilty of falling into that, because there's no way on God's great creation or beyond that my GB is going to so much as look at let alone touch any medication bottle until she is fully grown. (Okay she has looked at them, she had to see them to know that they are not in any way shape or form to be touched)

But it is truly amazing how kids can adapt to their caregivers. Which isn't to say she doesn't get into trouble.. oh my gosh the trouble she gets into... but it's just a different sort of mischief when she's with just gramma than when there's someone else around. When it's just us she's more into getting into the fridge while I'm in the bathroom, or pouring her drinks out on the floor, squeezing the life out of our cats (who are too stupid to scratch her), or playing in the bathroom shower (yet still only turns on the cold water since she knows no matter who is around, just like the pills she is not to touch the hot water.)

It can be done, but there's certain things you have to teach them that in no uncertain terms they cannot touch or do, 17 mo might seem like an impossible task, but spend as much time as you can with them with some help around and by the time they're two they'll know what they can, shouldn't and absolutely must not do when it's just them and gramma.
Kitty (05-01-2016)