View Single Post
Old 07-06-2007, 06:32 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Pono: A while back you were looking for some information on a couple of treatment methods/substances that you'd heard of. I've had PCS for several years and I've tried a few of these in the past so I thought I'd relay to you what I experienced:

5-HTP: I was on a 5HTP regimen for 6 months or so a short while back, and honestly it didn't do all that much for me (that said, it didn't do anything to hurt me either, which is the nice thing about taking supplements instead of normal medication - there's little if any risk of a negative reaction). Basically, 5-HTP is a seratonin enabling chemical in the body, but it doesn't always result in more seratonin actually entering your brain (so it's not a cure all for depression, and it's not as strong as SSRI medication, which force your brain to use the seratonin it already has for longer than it normally would). Think of 5-HTP as being like molecules of hydrogen and oxygen that you're giving to your brain... if the brain's feeling dehydrated it can take those bits of hydrogen and oxygen and turn them into water, but if the brain doesn't feel thirsty at all it won't turn those molecules into anything (it'll just flush them out of your system). I hope this analogy makes sense. That said, if your brain really wants to make more seratonin but doesn't have the means to do so, taking 5HTP will give it that ability. If you really want to check out a more holistic approach to brain chemistry, there's a company called NeuroScience Laboratories that operates out of Wisconsin, and they have tests that you can do through the mail (I think you need to get one of the tests through a practitioner), where they take fluid samples from you and can map out your brain chemistry through those samples. They then perscribe a regimen of vitamins to balance out your brain chemistry. I've heard rave reviews from some people that have tried their stuff, while other people have no reaction at all, and others have a small reaction that kind of fades away after a while (this is what happened to me). I think I just laid out way too much information here... sorry.

The other supplements you listed are very similar to 5HTP - they may work wonders or they may do nothing at all. Most supplements are no risk/either high reward or no reward, so they're kind of neat to experiment with (under a nutritionist's supervision, that is).

If you're looking for other therapies, you might want to check out light therapy (one kind called Syntonics is often very helpful for this sort of stuff, and I've heard of some people having success with EMDR, though EMDR can often solicit some pretty violent reactions so enter into that carefully). The one therapy that I've done that's made the biggest difference for me is called Cranio-sacral therapy - it's very light and gentle and can bring about PROFOUND changes in your mind and the rest of your body. I've been doing cranio-sacral therapy for about 5 months now, and during those 5 months I've recovered more from my injuries than I did during the 4 years that came before. It doesn't work for everyone, but when it does it can really help things out, so I'd recommend it.

Hopefully this helps.
PCS McGee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote