View Single Post
Old 07-06-2007, 06:34 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile Hi, and Welcome...

sorry we had to meet like this, though! i take it dr. t. was your surgeon 6 years ago? if so, awesome choice - i'm sure he did a great job; however, i'm thinking perhaps you only had a partial scalenectomy at that point.

unfortunately, it is NOT uncommon for TOS sx to return, even after a top doc like dr. togut performs a rib resection, as it is a progressive disorder, and rather the nature of the beast for adhesions to form and reattach where they're bound to cause trouble at some point down the line...

but that does not, necessarily mean in and of itself that you are going to need a re-do (i.e., a complete scalenectomy). i can totally relate to why your head would automatically go there (mine would, too), though, and boy, i sure hear you on the not wanting to go back on those heavy-duty pain meds thing. good for you for jumping off in the first place; i know from personal experience that is NO SMALL FEAT.

but hey, you need to address these sx you're having. my thought is, you might even do better to try a good muscle relaxant at this point, and then you might be able to do OK with just say, motrin on the analgesic front. a couple of good ones which are not mind- or mood-altering (or addictive) are zanaflex and flexeril. and don't forget the icepacks, babe!

but if you find that you do need an analgesic stronger than an OTC to take with it, there are some out there which do not contain tylenol (takes the "tylenol worry" aspect out of the equation), such as opana and of course, oxycodone (both of which come in long-acting and short-acting forms alike [although, i must say, i personally do not like the long-acting version of oxycodone - which as i'm sure you know is marketed under the brand name oxycontin]).

we had a med thread not too long ago which you might find interesting; try toying around with the search function (i think if you use the 'advanced search' aspect using ocgirl's poster name you will find the thread...).

do you have a PM doc (schwartzman is the guy, if you're looking!)? also, does your PT have a TOS protocol? there are threads on this kind of stuff which might also be very useful to you right now and may help put your mind at ease as you re-enter "TOS-land," albeit kicking and screaming...

we are here to help you get through this, and i'm sure you have a lot to teach us, too, with your experience. it's always great to hear from someone who's had such success with a TOS surgery. we don't often get to hear about a sustainable result like yours; for some reason the "success stories" seem to run off, disappear and forget all about us...

my hope for you is that these issues that are now resurfacing for you can be addressed with the right type of PT and bodywork, but if you do need to "go back under the knife," well we are here for you for all of that process as well.

you are located in a great part of the country to be afflicted with this nonsense, that is for sure! so count that among your blessings at least, my newfound friend.

what is the deal with NJ lately? you guys are cropping up all over the dang place! it's frightening!!!

hahaha

alison

Last edited by Sea Pines 50; 07-06-2007 at 08:41 PM. Reason: sopranos thing...shhhhh
Sea Pines 50 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote