View Single Post
Old 04-30-2016, 04:07 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Vestibular Dysfunction Questions

Hey everyone,

Was wondering if anyone with vestibular problems due to their mTBI could answer some questions for me?

I have been diagnosed with vestibulo-ocular reflex dysfunction. Basically, my eyes and head do no move in sync so I have trouble moving my head and focusing my gaze. Also, my right inner ear is functioning on a lower level then my left, because I guess that's where I hit my head.

Anyway, my therapist says that I should keep doing activities that make me dizzy so my body will adapt and desensitize and then rest and recover. But I am afraid that this will set me back in my PCS recovery. I have so much anxiety that making myself dizzy on purpose is only hindering my brain from recovering, even though apparently that is what I'm supposed to do. I've set myself back a few times now, and I feel like I'm never going to get better (I'm 10 months in, by the way).

Another question is, is it possible to be completely healed from a concussion but still have the inner ear damage and dysfunction. I feel like vertigo is really my most debilitating symptom. I don't get bad headaches it seems, only when my vertigo is very bad. Same with brain fog and cognitive symptoms. So could my brain be healed? Are the two injuries separate entities? Like does the brain only heal when the inner ear heals, or vice versa?

Also, I have a lot of ear pain (achyness, fullness) and tinnitus, which I know is normal for this. But sometimes my ears will suddenly feel like they close up and the ringing is replaced by a singular high pitched noise, like a "beeeeeeep", and I have to wiggle my finger in my ear to get rid of it. Is this a concern?

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but if anyone has any input or advice, I would appreciate it. I feel like the constant dizziness (swaying, rocking, seasick feeling) is giving me intense anxiety and preventing me from doing even basic things like going on walks or even just getting out of my house. Thanks!
Mother of Dragons is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote