View Single Post
Old 05-01-2016, 07:28 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

I have similar issues and have been going to vestibular and vision therapy for over one year. I've had 2 concussions--the first 9/13 and the second, one year later.
Therapy for these issues is meant to desensitize you (which unfortunately, makes you fairly miserable as who can possibly enjoy symptoms of dizziness, nausea or headache?). After all the therapy I have had and the daily home programs, yes,I have seen improvement, but I am still experiencing the symptoms which continue to make me miserable if I dwell on them.
To stop dwelling on them, I have decided to take a break in my weekly therapy sessions and daily home program. My goal is to do more activities that make me happy and deal with my symptoms at the same time.
When driving, I'm relying on the wonderful new technology of rear cameras and side view lights/warning sounds so I do not turn my head side to side which sets off my vestibular-ocular issues. In the past, there was nothing like getting on a highway on a beautiful day and driving a few hundred miles to visit my daughter or others. Can't do that yet as I learned my lesson the hard way last year. Too much visual and vestibular stim for me and I experienced horrible headaches for a few weeks.
Doing everything in moderation is the key to dealing with PCS and trying to keep a positive outlook. This is so very hard, but necessary especially since we don't look any different than before our injuries on the outside. It's on the inside where no one can see that things are so very different.
We all heal at different rates and no one can truthfully tell us when that healing will take place.
FYI- tai chi classes have been a great help for me in many ways as it is a meditative exercise. My balance and ability to process directions has greatly improved as has my tolerance for noise (the chit chatting of classmates before class begins initially increased my headache while the calming music & chi gong exercises helped to decrease symptoms).
Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SMSotr is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote