View Single Post
Old 05-01-2016, 11:32 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default It could depend on your veins

I had a 5-day course of plasmapharesis in hospital through a central line; a large catheter through the neck. Maybe the admission requirement has to do with the management of the catheter: keeping it clean and protected. It was a surgical procedure to install it, and since it was going into my jugular vein, if something went wrong, Bad Things could happen.

I was starting crisis when I was admitted, so they decided to "go with the big guns", as my neuro said. I was in pretty bad shape: could barely walk with a cane, couldn't swallow anything other than liquids, one eye closed, speech slurred, etc... After each treatment, I could feel improvement. I was back at work a week after I was released, and kept improving to get back to normal.

Now when I go in for labs, when the Tech says "big stick" to warn me of the needle, I say "That's not a big stick, (pull down collar) This is a big stick."

I deal with the assorted crap that has hit me in life with a sick, twisted sense of humor. If they get a bit snippy, I tell a few of the things I've survived, so they know I've 'earned it.'

Just my experience, yours may vary.
Best of luck.

Last edited by Chemar; 05-02-2016 at 09:34 AM. Reason: ** NeuroTalk Guidelines
Nac Mac Feegle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote