View Single Post
Old 05-03-2016, 06:05 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Tidying up loose ends

This is my last post (probably - at least for a while anyway, barring any unexpected developments).

So just to summarize:

For my 40-minute (six days per week) exercise bike session I've recently adopted the Boutcher protocol. My overage average RPM is 90, which seems to pretty much satisfy the Alberts/Ridgel formula (see first post).

I've found that the variability inherent in an 8s/12s duty cycle seems to help the time pass quickly. Whether this type of variability also contributes to motor symptom improvement seems to be unknown at this point in time. My reading of recent research outputs leads me to believe that the role played by "variability-of-cadence" (and other factors) will be studied more over the next few years, most likely by Ridgel et al. at KSU (see second post).

More generally, it seems that few papers have been published which consider the combination of interval training techniques, high-cadence cycling, and PD (see third post).

I've sent an email message Jay Alberts, Angela Ridgel and Stephen Boutcher, and included a link to this webpage. If I get any significant response, and I have their permission, I'll post the information to this thread.

And Nan, I've dug up a reference for you.

"The nonmotor impairments are wide ranging and include cognitive and emotional impairments, autonomic dysfunction, sleep disorders and sensory abnormalities, including pain..." [A]

If you had said "also play important roles" rather than "play equally important roles", I think I might not have had a problem with it. It's not my bluntness this time, it's probably OCD. I'm sorry.

[A] Allen NE, Moloney N, van Vliet V, Canning CG (2015) The rationale for exercise in the management of pain in Parkinson's disease. Journal of Parkinson's Disease 5 (2015) 229-239 DOI 10.3233/JPD-140508
jeffreyn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eds195 (05-03-2016)