View Single Post
Old 05-04-2016, 02:29 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Help Prince / Opioids / Benzo's / ??

Hey there.

I'm almost 54 and Prince was a large part of my teenage years. I still love his music. I was so very sad to hear of his death. And even sadder now that he didn't make it to get the help he wanted and needed to learn to handle his severe, chronic pain.

I know there will be more info coming out in the days and weeks to come. What I heard today was that the clinic in CA that he wanted to go to was not to get off his pain meds but to switch to something that might be better for him to use. Did anyone see the news and do I have that correct ?

I get angry when I hear the TV doctors talk about the epidemic of pain meds and how doctors are just giving then away like candy. Well I guess some doctors might be but not my PM dr.

I finally did hear one TV doctor say that all this talk was not directed at the chronic pain patients that use these meds as prescribed and knowledgeable about what they are taking.

But today after hearing more doctors talk on TV I am confused about something. They stated the problem is opioids mixed with benzo's. Now back to the beginning.

When my SFN first started and I was going to my PCP, she was giving me hydrocodone (5 mg, then 7.5mg and finally 10 mg) for daily use and Xanax (.5 and I broke then in half) for just when I needed it.

Then I started going to my PM dr and he put me on BuTrans patch and took me off Xanax and put me on buspirone 5mg daily. He didn't explain why....just said I could not take them together.

So when I switched from BuTrans patches to ER Morphine 30 mg I thought I would be able to go back to Xanax just when I needed it and get off the daily buspirone. Nope......said they could not be mixed.

So the final take on this is that I took opioids with a Benzo before and was fine. I actually liked taking the 1/2 a Xanax only when I needed it instead of being on something everyday that I don't even know if it's helping or not.

Sure hope I made sense in what I was trying to say above !

Would love to hear comments regarding this. It is very confusing to me.

Debi from Georgia
St George 2013 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hopeless (05-04-2016)