View Single Post
Old 05-08-2016, 07:21 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerfun View Post
I just reread my skin biopsy and I think stillHoping is right. It states "thick sections revealed marked reduction of innervation of epidermis and of dermal structures such as glands, hair follicles, and blood vessels consistent with axonopathy of small cutaneous sensory axons". So does this mean that the glands, follicles and blood vessels are still there just not getting the blood (circulation) they need to function properly vs "being destroyed?" I wish the doctors could show me a picture of what is actually happening!
Yes, if there weren't any sweat glands and hair follicles in the sample they probably couldn’t check their innervations.
When the small fibers that innervates these structures are affected there is a reduction in the regulation of these structures (by neurotransmitters such as Acetylcholine, Norepinephrine) they don’t get the commands to sweat, dilate and constrict the blood vessels etc., so the damage isn’t caused by reduced blood flow .
Although I guess it might happen indirectly, since the small fibers innervates the blood vessels then there might be also a problem with blood supply to the area.
stillHoping is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Cliffman (05-08-2016), glenntaj (05-09-2016)