View Single Post
Old 05-10-2016, 06:23 AM
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Newly Joined

8 yr Member
Default Idiopathic PN try B12?

I have read through this thread with great interest after having just been diagnosed with idiopathic neuropathy. My neurologist has ruled out many major things and essentially arrived at a diagnosis of IPN. I have had symptoms for a while now, at least a year, tingling and burning feet that came and went but now its a bit more constant on a day to day basis. I also am just noticing it in my hands a bit. I have no idea how I got this but will list a few bits of information including

Hashimotos diagnosed 2012 confirmed via ultrasound in 2015. No antibodies detected though. Been on thyroxine since then 2012. Currently stopping it for six weeks to see where im at on advice from neuro. I was getting some hyper symptoms.

Took norfloxacin antibiotics for diverticulitis about 18months ago. I also get ibs from time to time and have had chronic gatritis on and off.

Im not a diabetic and have generally good health.

The neuro dismissed vitamin b12 as a possible issue. But I'm not so ready to discount it.

Last test it was 449 pmol/L but I had been taking some tablets (not methyl) the week i got bloods taken. Serum folate was 34nmol/L. I'm mildly anaemic in terms of hematocrit and hemoglobin but those numbers bounce around between normal and low. I used to think this was from doing a lot of endurance sports (cycling) but I stopped that because of persistent pudendal nerve pain and still seem to have it a bit.

I have ordered some methyl b12 from the states because its hard to find here in Australia. Havent taken it yet though. Id like to be systematic about things I try when investigating things further but i'd like to hear what others might think of these numbers?

I also run low on serum sodium 135 and on lower side for potassium 3.7. Mag supplements have never really helped me at all.

Putting this all togther, pudendal nerve irritation, plus the peripheral neuropathy I was considering trying the methyl B12 for a few months? Might just be in the denial stage but I'm just not ready to rest on a diagnosis of "idiopathic" and a diet of Lyrica, which leaves me pain free but cognitively impaired...

Thanks
Fred
F_ward is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote