Thread: Dental issues
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2016, 11:37 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Tom,

Sorry that I've been MIA. Been dealing with a lot of things lately.

Regarding tooth #14 ... root canaling the tooth does not cure the infection it actually adds to the spread of the bacterial infection and inflammation. Based on everything you have shared about this tooth and from my extensive experience I would say that in all probability your assumption about nothing being left to this crowned tooth is correct. The decay is most likely very extensive leaving not much, if any, actual tooth structure remaining past the gum line. So there will be nothing to build a core base upon to place a crown over. Root canaling it is her last ditch effort to give you some very limited, but unhealthy, borrowed time with it. Inevitably the tooth will need to be removed. However, what is the chronic infection doing and going to continue to do to your systemic health? That is the real concern, in my opinion.

It will not be easy to chew food on that side of your mouth without any upper posterior teeth. However, that lone and sick tooth #14 is not aiding you in chewing and it is infected. Perhaps she can remove that tooth and fit you for a removable partial denture?

The choice to retain it or not is yours. But just know that what you are retaining is an infected tooth with a very limited life span.

I hope that helps.
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeputt View Post
Bryanna, I might have said that #14 had a root canal done in the past, not sure how you took it but in fact no root canal has ever been done on #14 tooth. I still got 2 weeks to make up my mind to spend the $2000 to have a root canal and then next day have it crowned or just remove this tooth.

The two teeth next to it has been removed years ago. One being the #16 wisdom tooth and then #15. I am thinking it has been at least 35 years since these teeth were removed. Now the question is this old crown on #14 and the dentist telling me it needs a root canal.

I am thinking there is not much tooth left under this old crown on #14 so they would need to build up I assume.

I know most dentists will tell me to keep it but really is it worth all this money and then have to remove it later if the root canal fails ?

I think I could eat food without it. When I called they told me I could wait but yet they claim it needs a root canal so is it infected and needs something done now?
I am confused on what to do. I also don't have that kind on money laying around but I can get it from my saving.

I understand if you don't want to answer me but I thought I would ask being I do think you thought #14 already had a root canal . Tom

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote