View Single Post
Old 05-10-2016, 08:58 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member
Default Mother just diagnosed

Hi,

My 87 year old mother has just been diagnosed with MG a few weeks ago. I've never seen her so sad in my life (she was still driving up until the sudden onset). Her major symptoms are the unfocused vision and weak neck muscles. She has been on the Mestinon for the past three weeks. The Mestinon has not helped these symptoms. Her next appointment with the local Neuro is in 11 days. Do they always wait a month or so before the second appointment and adding other drugs to the Mestinon? I would think that after three weeks the doctor would be ready to try the next step? Are there limitations to the drugs that can be used for an 87 year old? I assume Pred would be tried next?

Anyway, I'm just looking for some helpful hints as she begins her journey with MG. I'm trying to read these forums and offer her some hope, but I guess it's pretty bleak in the beginning. Plus she lives alone so I'm sure it's even scarier for her. We do have another appointment at the end of the month with a big city doctor to get a second opinion.

Thanks much for anything anyone can offer.
RobTom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AnnieB3 (05-12-2016)