View Single Post
Old 05-11-2016, 10:53 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Dear RobTom,

I'm so sorry to hear about your mother's diagnosis. Did you (or your mom) contact the doctor to tell him that the Mestinon wasn't working? Sometimes it takes some adjustment to get the correct dose. I'm not sure what dose she is taking. Sometimes they start with a tiny dose, and then slowly increase it. Mestinon is the safest of the treatments, so doctors like to try it first. I think it works for many people, but not everyone.

Yes, they usually try prednisone next, sometimes in combination with the Mestinon if it is showing some benefit. There are other medications also.

There are some good websites with strategies for dealing with myasthenia gravis. Taking good care of one's self and getting rest is necessary. Being careful in the hot weather is important - heat can make symptoms worse. For me, I am better in the morning, and I feel worse as the day progresses. I try to get a few things done in the morning, either at home or elsewhere, and then plan to be at home in the afternoon and evening generally, because I know I will be more weak. If she has starts having trouble with breathing or swallowing, she needs to contact her doctor right away, as that could be quite serious. I'm not sure if this helps, but those are some suggestions.

Wishing your mom better days ahead,
Erin
ErinBear is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AnnieB3 (05-12-2016)