View Single Post
Old 05-11-2016, 07:37 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I guess I'm sort of lucky... My DH plays the gate-keeper to my activities. I'm more the type to do what I really shouldn't be doing and pay for it, rather than take it easy and not get trapped in the middle of the restaurant floor trying to "look casual" as I grasp the backs of stranger's chairs to hold myself upright while I wait for my DH to go and get my wheelchair.

I live in the south though so it's kinda nice-ish that people don't have a concept of personal space, so they don't really get upset that there's a weird lady holding onto their chair and almost tipping them over because she's literally holding herself up. But after a few times of things like that happening, a few public and epic falls and fails, the DH has become the warden and must approve all outside activities before I can attend. Sometimes we still don't agree and sometimes I do still show him up on what all I can do (in a one day only kind of sale), but more times than not attempts to show him up bite me in the butt.

But I also don't have any real friends... I never really have instead of a homebody I was always more of the alone-body. I've never liked to socialize with people, if the boards were meeting people in RL, forget it... I'd never attend a single meeting. No offense... but I just don't like people. I don't hate people, just a general overall dislike for them. The extend of my "friend" network is 2 guys that lived in my uncle's neighborhood and were around my age growing up, that my uncle adopted, my DH, parents, daughter, grandkids, my DH's boss and his subordinate. That's the only people I talk to, or admit as a friends and the 2 childhood friends one I haven't talked to since my brother's wedding ummm.... 4 years ago I think it was? and the other I only just starting talking to again since my daughter is living on one of his properties.

So really the only ones that can get me in trouble is the daughter, and my folks... my dad is a great one for it, we went to the beach a lot 2 years ago, and I was constantly having to drag him back into shore and practically kill myself to do it, I'd be wiped out for days afterwards and then the next week we'd do it all again What can I say though... he bribed me with awesome burgers and ice cream floats. Who could say no?

But if I was in your shoes, I would just be forthright about it. Let them know, hey, I'm a homebody to begin with and with the MS I'm even more comfortable being a homebody. You're always welcome to come and hang out, we can do x or y. have a potluck or what have you. I would love to go hang out somewhere quiet with ya'll but my luggage to carry my meds is at the dry cleaners, I spare you the gory details of what happened inside one day when I couldn't make it to the potty in time.

If they're your friends, they laugh, maybe turn a bit green from their imagination and remember that you never did like to get out much. If they aren't they either run for the hills based upon their imagination or be highly offended that you would even make a joke about such a thing. In which case you can show them the door.
bddouglas (05-11-2016), Kitty (05-14-2016), St George 2013 (05-11-2016), tkrik (05-12-2016)