Thread: Dry needling?
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2016, 01:27 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

I wouldn't have any luck with insurance paying for dry needling either, as they would consider it acupuncture and therefore not covered . Right now my acupuncturist is my ancient cat... he does a great job of it really knows which nerves to strike with a claw, but he's been slacking off here of late and might be going in for the big sleep soon. He's earned it after 17 years of acupuncturist duties along side heating pad, massage and rodent catching extrodinaire. His replacement however is just a heating pad that weighs about 20lbs.

But acupuncture still hasn't been widely accepted as "medical" treatment. My insurance doesn't even cover chiropractors, or vitamins (rx dosage ones) It sort of covers PT but it will only cover 20 sessions a year and it only covers 50% after I have paid $500 out of pocket first and the first sessions paid for to meet up with the $500 counts as part of those 20 sessions a year. So say it costs $100 a session, I have to pay the full hundred for the first 5 sessions then the insurance will kick in $50 for only 15 more sessions for the year.

So in addition to PT just not working for me and really just making things worse, I have given up especially when my insurance is crap for covering it. It does cover other things really well, which is why I went with the plan I chose, but really I didn't see any plans out there that covered PT well at all.

Have you considered maybe seeing if a pain management doctor might be able to administer the treatment? If your insurance covers acupuncture of course, but it wouldn't necessarily have to be done by a physical therapist, some pain management doctors are able to do it as well. Might be worth a shot...
tkrik (05-12-2016)