View Single Post
Old 05-12-2016, 08:21 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Smile

Hi, Rob. I'm sorry your Mom is going through this. MG is challenging, but it can be managed.

Might I ask how they made the diagnosis? Was it on symptoms alone or did they conduct the antibody tests or other one such as an EMG?

They need to make sure of a diagnosis first.

Prednisone comes with a catalog of serious side effects, which elderly people might not handle well. Plus, it is an extremely difficult drug to withdraw from. MG experts are tending to use it for a crisis-only these days due to that. It's easier to do a fast taper after having IV Solu-Medrol (steroids) and then tablets.

At your Mom's age, Pred would be seen as a drug she would always be on. Would she be comfortable with that AND the side effects? Diabetes is often a side effect. If cancer runs in the family, immunosuppression might not be a good idea.

Also, MG patients can become worse before they are better when given Pred.

Pred is also often a "knee-jerk reaction" of doctors, especially those neurologists who are not MG experts. IVIG might be a better treatment to try. It all depends upon her overall health and any other drugs she might be on or conditions she has.

Please have her B12 and vitamin D checked, as well as her thyroid, if it hasn't been done already.

If your Mom becomes worse, dial 911 (or tell her to do that). If she can't move well, breathe well, or swallow, that's an emergency with MG. She might need to take some precautions due to living alone. It might be time for a medical alert system.

She should have a medical alert card and/or bracelet as well. And all doctors and the local hospital would need to be informed ahead of time of her condition and any "action plan" in case she becomes worse.

Some people don't do well on Mestinon because of the GI issues. An MG expert should really be the one discussing all treatment options with her.

If she does indeed have MG, she needs to keep away from hot weather. It can make MG exponentially wore. Cold weather can, too. Lack of sleep, stress, infections, surgery, and any other stressors to the immune system can make MG worse.

There are certain drugs we can't take (i.e., Ketek/Telithromycin) or other ones that might make us worse. Go to www.myasthenia.org to learn more.

What else can we help with? There's a big learning curve with MG. First make sure that's what she has. Then, if she does, have her learn as much as she can.

I hope she will get the care that she needs!

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote