Thread: Wbc
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2016, 12:28 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

Hi Bluesfan,

Thank you for sharing your experience with me. And don't worry, after all that has happened to me, it takes a lot to scare me.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience here. From what I know, it's a difficult illness to deal with, though I suppose none of what we deal with is easy.

We've sent a referral to a hematologist now. Hopefully it will go through and I'll see her sooner than later. In the meantime I'll keep an eye on things with WBC testing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan View Post
Hi David

Don't want to panic you and I agree with en bloc & kiwi's suggestions but you asked for others experiences with low white blood cell counts.

My wbc tested low 6 months before I had my initial Adrenal Insufficiency crisis (and subsequent diagnosis with Autoimmune Addison's Disease). At the time of testing I had been referred for a Rheumatology consultation but was seen by a resident who misdiagnosed me with Fibromyalgia. Monitoring the wbc was the only 'plan' he proposed. I sometimes wonder if it had been followed up more proactively at the time then I might not have gone into crisis and suffered the resulting permanent effects I now have to deal with.

In all the various rheumatology tests I had at the time the low wbc was the only test that came back abnormal. So a low white blood cell count may sometimes be the only indicator in the routine blood tests normally done that something more serious may be occurring (not necessarily Addison's as it's pretty rare) but something else requiring following up.

If a referral to a hematologist is difficult to get maybe an immunologist or endocrinologist may be easier to get an appt.

All the best for getting some definite answers and hopefully some effective treatment.
DavidHC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bluesfan (05-14-2016)