Thread: Dental issues
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2016, 03:49 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Tom,

Bleeding from the extraction site(s) is normal during sleep for a few days. If you have a lot of blood or you are choking on it during the night, then see your dentist asap. If you have blood that is oozing or you're passing clots from the extraction sites, see your dentist asap. You are also on BP meds, correct? These can sometimes prolong the bleeding from extractions.

Tooth extractions are surgery. They ARE a jolt to the body... every body, not just old people It's important to appreciate that your body has just had surgery and you need to take good care of yourself just as you would if you had any other surgery. Rest, hydrate, stay calm, eat nutritiously, laugh ... think positive thoughts... all those things are healing.

If you are still bleeding, even slightly next week or don't feel physically back to normal, then consider playing a short round of golf and give yourself a rest for a few days before another short round. Better to ease back into that than set yourself back because you didn't take another week to heal.

Regarding the anti cavity mouthwash ... I'm not a proponent of those mouthwashes because they usually contain some form(s) of sugar and are loaded with chemicals. If you want a pure and beneficial anti cavity mouthwash, buy a bag or container of Xylitol which is a sugar alcohol that is actually therapeutic to your teeth and gums. It's not the same as any other forms of sugar and it actually is very effective at combating cavity forming bacteria and gum disease. A teaspoon of Xylitol in a small glass of water used as a rinse before bedtime after you brush and floss your teeth is ideal. It is something that you do not rinse out of your mouth. You want your teeth to bathe in it while you sleep. So just rinse with it, spit it out in the sink and let whatever is left on your teeth stay on your teeth all night. You want to buy pure Xylitol, preferably made from birch and not corn and with no other ingredients in it. The brand NOW is a good one and you can get it at a health food store or online at vitacost.com.

You can start to use the Xylitol on the seventh day post op.

Hope this helps ...
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeputt View Post
I wonder how long I will have blood in my mouth when I wake up? It actually got on my pillow last night. It has been almost 48 hours and I was thinking the bleeding should have stopped by now ? After I washed my mouth when I got up and I brushed my teeth , used the salt water thing and no blood so far this morning. I guess removing these three teeth was a jolt on the old man I will continue to watch today to see if I have any more blood in my mouth. I will keep you updated Bryanna how things are going. Just eat some scrambled eggs and had no problem so maybe the soft diet is what I need. Probably better on my digestive system anyway. I just think of all this as dealing with the age thing. I plan on playing golf two days next week and getting back in my routine of retirement life. Just a small bump in the road One more question. How long before I can start back using the anti cavity mouthwash ? I was told I needed to be using something to try and stop some of these cavities that showed up last month. Tom

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote