View Single Post
Old 05-14-2016, 03:53 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Steveo,

The Gelfoam is not really intended to act as a plug and prevent air flow. It's more to protect the perforation from becoming contaminated via the oral cavity into the sinus.

Continue doing what you are and hopefully by next week it will be much better.

BTW.... God did not invent gummy bears. ~'.'~

Please keep us posted on how things are going.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
Bryanna,

Your wisdom and insight is much appreciated!

My concern was that failure of Gelfoam to stop air movement meant the "patch" was not functioning, and with air moving through the pinhole (which shows no sign of infection) healing would not take place. Thanks for your reassurance that minor air movement of itself, is not a problem in the short term and the opening should heal by itself. I do not smoke or use straws and have been scrupulously avoiding any depressurization of my oral cavity, but as you know, it can be quite difficult to avoid. I'll continue my efforts to not move air through the opening, use the saline and trust healing will gradually happen over coming days. As mentioned, I'll see my perio early next week and will eat the gummy bears, as god intended.

Once again, my sincere thanks and I'm pleased someone with your credentials is a Forum participant!

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote