View Single Post
Old 05-15-2016, 01:00 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Rick,

Yes, black sides do matter ..... I mean the black on the scan indicates air which is what you want to see pertaining to the sinuses.

The air is a problem as it means the sinus is open someplace. You also have a nasty infection that may not be related at all to your deviated septum but it may be just as, if not more, significant than the septum issue. The oral antibiotic may not work and/or it may not be the appropriate species for the bacteria that is causing the infection. A clean catch specimen of the pus sent to the lab for a culture would determine the proper antibiotic. I would ask the ENT if he can do that. Also if the infection is still present when you have the septum surgery, you could have surgical and/or post op complications due to the unresolved infection. So the infection is an issue.

I'm sorry you are going through all of this....
Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFitRick View Post
Hi Bryanna...so here's the latest,

I've been to the VA ENT. They did a CT scan and put me on 1 month (2x day) Amoxicillian. Said I have a deviated septem and will likely do surgery. They saw the soft tissue from the extract but said the septem is more of the problem.

Today I felt a pop sound at the extraction site and puss just started flowing out. I'm guessing this is the same puss the doc showed me on the scan (he compared one side which was black and the other which was white with a little black) Said "black sides matter," not really, ha. He did say the black indicates air and is what the issue side should look like (saw only a small air pocket)

I can now bring in air (communication) from the sinus, not the "water coming through" size, but if I apply suction from the mouth or blow it releases or introduces air. I'm guessing this is bad?

Yikes!

Hope all is well on your end - Rick
[/QUOTE]

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote