View Single Post
Old 05-15-2016, 01:01 PM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDFencer View Post
Well, I blame my Mom. No, seriously, her Dad and brother died from cerebral incidents. Each stroke I have seems to strike a new area. Typically, for me, my speech get slurry, I have trouble with balance and just moving in general. I can fall over just standing there. The prognosis way back after the big brain surgery was I most likely would continue to have strokes and just plateau a little lower each time. My right hand is a claw and virtually useless.(good thing I'm left handed) The problem is that as cliché as it sounds unless you've
had a stroke you really have no idea what happens. Oh you can explain it medically but try it from this side.

I was a division 1 basketball player in College, a decent chair fencer, But now I can't even do that. I'm coaching my grandsons basketball team. I just got certified and licensed through USA Basketball as a youth development coach. Coaching 9 year olds is like herding cats. I asked the league director if the coach's book comes with a bottle of Xanax. Not having a useful right hand and no balance I can't demonstrate things.

My quality of life sucks and I'm tired of it. It would just be easier for folks if I wasn't around.

Fence,
If you got this far with coaching 9 year olds; I'm pretty sure you will figure out a way to demonstrate on their terms.
Please don't give up to something that will bring you joy and pride in your accomplishment. Also, they will probably enjoy what novelty ideas you come up with.

Gerry
ger715 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
eva5667faliure (05-16-2016), PamelaJune (05-16-2016), RSD ME (05-19-2016), St George 2013 (05-19-2016)