View Single Post
Old 05-15-2016, 04:11 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Rick,

Was that "rice" like thing that came out a piece of tooth? Was it hard? Did you save it? I ask because it may be the link to your situation with the infection.

I would consult with the OS and the ENT as to who can do the culture asap. If the proper antibiotic is not taken the infection will not clear and the bacteria will become resistant to that medication and treating it can become more complex. So it is very important to know the proper meds and time is crucial.

You may need surgery to close this perforation and clear the infection for 2 reasons. One is it is long standing, meaning it's been present for at least as long as the tooth was root canaled. Two, it's had time to progress.

I'm not a big fan of the VA healthcare system for a variety of reasons based on my professional experience. They are not usually up on the latest approaches to things, especially in dentistry. Can you see someone who practices privately?

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFitRick View Post
Ugh, lol.. I feel like there has always been something "stuck" that kinda kept the sinus closed after the extraction. When I sneezed (a couple days ago), a rice-shaped piece came out along with all the puss. I now have all the advertised sinus communication symptoms "air flow to/from sinus, can't drink with a straw, etc." I'm guessing since it has been so long since the procedure and I have easy air flow, the OS will have to do surgery to close the communication or can it heal on its own? Can the OS capture a culture and determine the correct antibiotic?

ENT may be a bit more time waiting as it's through the Veterans Administration (VA) but I do have an appt in a week.

Thanks again for the input...hope you're having a great Sunday!
[/QUOTE]

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote