View Single Post
Old 05-15-2016, 08:28 PM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

I didn't save it, but felt it was the "plug" that would occasionally "pop," irritating that area resulting in new sinus infections. I don't think it was part of a tooth, as the tooth I saved shows metal breakage. The OS later did an xray and I assume would have been able to see anything hard-like.

ENT is through the VA who did the CT scan. They didn't say anything about the extraction site other than being able to see a missing tooth (soft tissue). Their focus seemed to be unrelated to the extracted tooth and concluded the deviated septum as the root of the sinus infections.

The VA medical side has been positive from my experience; their process to get things done is more of an issue.

My OS is private practice and did the extraction. I'm assuming he can do the bacteria culture test and the surgery flap? I'm scheduled to see him this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Rick,

Was that "rice" like thing that came out a piece of tooth? Was it hard? Did you save it? I ask because it may be the link to your situation with the infection.

I would consult with the OS and the ENT as to who can do the culture asap. If the proper antibiotic is not taken the infection will not clear and the bacteria will become resistant to that medication and treating it can become more complex. So it is very important to know the proper meds and time is crucial.

You may need surgery to close this perforation and clear the infection for 2 reasons. One is it is long standing, meaning it's been present for at least as long as the tooth was root canaled. Two, it's had time to progress.

I'm not a big fan of the VA healthcare system for a variety of reasons based on my professional experience. They are not usually up on the latest approaches to things, especially in dentistry. Can you see someone who practices privately?

Bryanna

[/QUOTE]
XFitRick is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote