View Single Post
Old 05-16-2016, 08:37 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Dear en bloc:

An immune deficiency is just the lack of adequate antibodies (in my case IgG and IgM)

The lack of adequate antibodies only means (in my case, but not for everyone with deficiency) that I don't have adequate defense against infections.

The attack on my organs/systems is another activity of my immune system, not the deficiency, but some product of my immune system which attacks my body.

For many people with Immune Deficiency, the attack on their organs/systems comes from the action of autoantibodies. About 25% of people with my category of Immune Deficiency (CVID) also have autoimmune conditions which are the result of the action of autoantibodies produced by their Immune System.

I do NOT have any autoantibodies, and yet I have a myriad of conditions as a result of attacks on my organs/systems.

My Duke research Immunologist (and my husband, who is also a research Immunologist) 'theorize' that it may be that my Immune System send cytokines to damage my organs/systems.

There is no test for this. As my Immunologist says 'We use the tests we have, not the tests we need".

Here are some links:

Cytokine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cytokines are produced by a broad range of cells, including immune cells like macrophages, B lymphocytes, T lymphocytes and mast cells, as well as endothelial cells, fibroblasts, and various stromal cells; a given cytokine may be produced by more than one type of cell.[1][2][3]

They act through receptors, and are especially important in the immune system; cytokines modulate the balance between humoral and cell-based immune responses, and they regulate the maturation, growth, and responsiveness of particular cell populations. Some cytokines enhance or inhibit the action of other cytokines in complex ways.[3]

They are different from hormones, which are also important cell signaling molecules, in that hormones circulate in less variable concentrations and hormones tend to be made by specific kinds of cells.

They are important in health and disease, specifically in host responses to infection, immune responses, inflammation, trauma, sepsis, cancer, and reproduction.

Cytokines, Inflammation and Pain

The above link describes the actions of cytokines in pain and inflammation.
ElaineD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bluesfan (05-16-2016)