View Single Post
Old 05-16-2016, 11:39 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I think there are a number of reasons ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Got_it_2 View Post
What's going on that there is so little activity on this forum? Just curious. It didn't use to be like this.
for this, indeed I raised a thread in 2009 bemoaning the decline of the board, see:

The state of the board ...

For those who cannot get to it the thread started as follows:

"tough to verbalise my feelings but I will try.

Braintalk2 (imho) seems to have lost its way somewhat. I guess the root cause seems to be that the board has become a source for sharing information and activism rather than personal communication. For some reason the board seems to no longer reflect the big personalities of some contributors and is becoming a bit stagnant.

I miss the days when cs3 was telling everyone how it is, Howard's indefatigable optimism, Vicky arguing a lone corner, Paula (my hero) and many others too numerous to mention. God I even miss the Duck, you might not like what he said but at least you knew he was on the board.

I am glad MJFF are reading the board and contributing but I fear we are taking ourselves too seriously.

I throw this out to the comments and wisdom of the masses and I am happy to accept if I am talking bu@@sh@t. I am aware that I seem to be the last contributor to an increasing number of threads however I hope this one will generate some discussion.

Take care,
Neil. "

I don't think much has changed in the 7 years since then due to two main factors:

i) The pathetic state of research on PD. Gene therapy seems stuck down a cul de sac, (see Prosavin, enough said). Growth factors just don't seem to work, Heck I saw a thread on the board in the last few days discussing the potential of GDNF, my will to live walked out the door at that point. Cell replacement therapy is forever 5 years away and the initial optimism seems to have evaporated. Beyond the benefits of exercise it seems that the cupboard is bare.

ii) The board has lost some big personalities, (in no particular order and not exclusively confined to) contributors such as Howardh, Paula, (forever my hero), Ron Hutton, Reverritt, CS3, Chasmo, and even the Duck.

Who can forget Paula's dalliance with some mind altering narcotics, (some of the funniest posts on the board), or Reveritt's white rat experiments.

So I believe contributors are cyclical and we are in a period of transition looking for perceptive, eloquent, and self deprecating posters.

I also welcome the day a medical breakthrough floods the board with new vitality.

Remember this board is still the best place to go if you want any PD related information.

Take care,
Neil.
aftermathman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote