Thread: Kids Today....
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2016, 11:23 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

My own kids are doing well, were in a good school system and I was a teacher. I believe teaching starts at birth, play experiences (Play, never did formal lessons- turn off!!), influenced by the behaviors of those around them. I could not afford special preschool for my twins and used the vo-tech part of town high school which ran a preschool supervised by a great teacher and using her own students. My kids played, explored and were loved by young enthusiastic motivated students. In Kindergarten the student teacher asked what special pre-school they went to, they were so smart. We did a lot of experiential things (trips to zoos, automated dinosaurs, lunch out at diners, visits to fire station, etc.). They started with good genetics and got good environmental. I would say "make good choices" (not teachy or preachy), my 24 year old daughter heard and jokingly says it now to her cat. Both graduated highly ranked universities and maintained 3-4 point GPAs. I have taught pre-school in my old school (hired teacher bailed at last moment) so got some experience before my own. Kids (students) played, but I had purpose for everything they did. Playing can be channeled to do logic, cause and effect, eye-hand coordination, etc. at age-appropriate Development is genetic, environmental and economic (IMHO).
kicker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Starznight (05-17-2016)