View Single Post
Old 05-18-2016, 08:18 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Dr Deborah Zelinsky in Chicago - Mind Eye (Ghost in my Brain)

Hi,
I have recently started going through the book 'A Ghost in my brain' by Clark Elliot (a few posts from last year when it came out, I think). I have listened to him being interviewed and have started ploughing through the book. SO many things are what I have and do experience on a daily basis.

I am so grateful he wrote that book - he describes what I find to be difficult to describe to people. Worth checking out - google to hear a radio interview.

He used a neuro-optometrist in the Chicago area - Dr. Zelinsky at the Mind-Eye Connection (or something like that). As others have written here, her tests seem to be much more advanced than other neuro-optometrists or neuro opthamologists. She seems to get the sensory interconnections - the auditory, visual, balance, etc. issues that have caused me and many others daily suffering.

I am going to try to go to see her and wanted to check to see if anyone else has tried her. The book author also consulted with a neuro-psychologist in the area - Donalee Markus - I am not planning to see her as it is too expensive and I want to see the results of working with Dr Zelinksy.

I have been wearing prisms in my three glasses (reading, computer and distance) for 3.5 years. Prisms have been getting reduced over time, which shows some level of healing. But she has a unique take on the prisms and I am curious (and desperate!!!!).

If anyone has any experience, I would love to hear from you.

For those in the USA, she does take some medicare or insurance things, which could help with payments. It doesn't apply to me but I would pay anything for improvement. Don't want to be scammed though!

I really recommend the book - and I really recommend that every health care person I (and all of you!) have seen for mtbi / concussion read it. He was like me (and millions of others) - dismissed by so many medical practitioners - including neurologists - no one really gets this injury, which is horrific. I call it the injury that keeps on giving!

healing thoughts to you all.
M

What happened: Legs pulled forward by a parent's hockey stick while resting at the side of the rink at a family skate....sent me straight back. I hit the back of my head (with helmet) on the ice, bounced a few times, unconscious for a few minutes. September 11, 2011. Off work since then…I work part-time at home when I can. It has been hell but slowly feeling better (when I am alone☺).

Current symptoms: Vision problems (but 20/20 in each eye alone!) – convergence insufficiency – horizontal and vertical (heterophoria), problems with tracking and saccades, peripheral vision problems, eyes see different colour tints; tinnitus 24/7 both ears; hyperacusis (noise filter gone!), labyrinthian (inner ear) concussion, vestibular dysfunction (dizzy, bedspins, need to look down when walking); partial loss of sense of smell; electric shocks through head when doing too much; headaches; emotional lability; memory blanks; difficulty concentrating. I still can’t go into busy, noisy places. Fatigue. Executive functioning was affected – multi-tasking, planning, motivation. Slight aphasia. Shooting pain up neck and limited mobility at neck. Otherwise lucky!

Current treatments: Vestibular therapy, Vision therapy, amantadine (100 mg a day), acupuncture and physiotherapy for neck, slow return to exercise, magnesium, resveratrol, omega 3 fish oils, vitamins D, B and multi. Optimism and perserverance.
Mokey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote