View Single Post
Old 05-20-2016, 08:49 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'd thought I'd bump this thread as I am really starting to suspect that I have a perilymph fistula, cerebral spinal leak or some other leak.

When I perform the perilymph fistula test and apply pressure to my tragus (flap near ear canal opening) I experience a fluid like sensation in the ear and it moves to other places. I only experience this with the left ear. Interestingly I experience positional vertigo on the left side.

I first did this after I experienced ear pain after taking effexor. The pain and dizziness subsided somewhat after performing this maneuver.

I recently had a stretch of good days after performing this maneuver and I thought I'd try it again. I noticed the fluid like sensation again. Additionally, I started to feel marginally worse. Incidentally, I also upgraded to a firmer pillow that keeps my head slightly higher up.

Anyways I'll report back if anything comes of this. I saw two neuro-otologists. I saw the first one about 2.5 years ago and he seemed to think a PLF was possibly however it is a controversial disorder. I saw the next one last year twice and he said he supposed it was possible but didn't make much of it. He only saw me for about 10 minutes and to be honest he didn't seem that qualified. He sent me in for more VEMP testing which didn't rule out that there was something wrong with the inner ear. Anyways, PLF was never really the topic of the visit it only really came up in passing (as a possibility). They said my issues were likely related to the brain.

Neither really performed any tests or ordered CT scans. However, the first indicated that a CT scan is necessary for a proper diagnosis.

Last edited by cerebellarmaniac; 05-20-2016 at 11:38 PM.
cerebellarmaniac is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote