View Single Post
Old 05-21-2016, 02:13 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

I don't even know why I bother with it anymore. I was shaving the back of my calf when I knicked my leg. Now, I didn't even feel it and was continuing with shaving when I noticed blood splattered all over the floor underneath where I was sitting. I had knicked a place where there was a varicose vein right beneath the surface. A line of blood was spewing out and it was going all the way across the bathroom! It was like a faucet had been turned on. I kept applying pressure but every time I'd release the pressure the stream of blood would launch itself across the bathroom. It was beginning to look like a crime scene!

At this point I had lost what appeared to be a significant amount of blood. I called my DIL and explained what had happened. She loaded the babies in the car and came right over. She had a first aid kit and, if I could have gotten to the kitchen without spewing blood everywhere I could have gotten a bandaid. But I couldn't. She put a large bandaid over the knicked area. It was still bleeding so she called 911 because I was beginning to get a little lightheaded.

This is the part where I thought of Sally!! She would have been so proud.....I had five....yes, five handsome EMT's in my bedroom!! That was the first time I've EVER had five men in my bedroom!! Why so many responded I have no idea but my poor son drove up not knowing the whole story and there was an ambulance and a fire truck parked in front of my house. He bolted inside and found us all chatting in my bedroom. I used to work for the Fire Department in the 80's and the EMT's were asking me if I knew certain people who had worked there for years. I recognized several names and we had fun talking about how much things had changed in the department since I was there. I have always wished I had stayed at that job because I loved it (it was an office job). I had my single bandaid on my leg and everyone packed up and left. Before the EMT who seemed to be in charge left he told me that this would be at no charge since I didn't go to the ER. Wow!! I was thinking it was going to be a couple hundred dollars. Nice surprise.

What was so funny was that the whole time I was thinking "boy am I glad I shaved my legs"!!
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hopeless (05-21-2016), Starznight (05-22-2016)