View Single Post
Old 05-22-2016, 02:29 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Mike...please read this a few times.
I experienced bad nerve damage after what I feel was incompetent behavior by my dentist. After 3.5 years, a root canal, the removal of the tooth, many medications etc. it is finally somewhat better. The pain is still present and with me almost always, but I have more control than in the past. Originally, it was unbearable. I often had to take narcotics and still have them at my disposal. I am happy that I have more control, but am surprised it took so long to get to a decent place. Saddened that I think it will likely be with me forever, but pleased that at least I have more control. I use many meds, one that is specially made for me. I also eat in a very healthy manner to try to keep my body in optimal shape ....hopefully the body can do some healing on its own.

Don't hesitate to seek the opinion of a other dental professionals for their opinion only. I was very lucky in that I found an oral surgeon who was also an MD who gave me valuable insight and led me to a NEUROLOGIST. Which brings me to my second point, don't hesitate to see a neurologist if you are not improving over a decent period of time.

Also, if you think your dentist was lax/ incompetent in any way, consider seeing an attorney to discuss possible legal options. I think sometimes these things are just simply bad outcomes and other times there is more to it involving incompetence. Time will be important in any potential lawsuit.

I hope this is NOT the case and I hope you feel better soon. I heard sometimes nerves heal on their own....often it is slow, etc. After 3.5 years I'm not particularly confident anymore for myself, but, like I said, I am happy that at least I can often control the pain with medications.

Also, very very generally... I never found my adjacent teeth to be an issue in my case. I did not find removing my tooth helpful, but I did not have an implant...only a graph put in and then removed. I think in retrospect, I wish I had taken things a little slower. I found most of my dentists very uninformed re nerve damage and pain. It is a difficult predicament. I'm so sorry. I hope you feel better soon and are one of the lucky ones that heal relatively quickly. It absolutely does happen. Also... take in/seriously consider, professional opinions, but trust your instincts.

Last edited by Vowel Lady; 05-22-2016 at 02:52 PM.
Vowel Lady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote