View Single Post
Old 05-23-2016, 08:32 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD
Chickadees are cavity builders. This narrows down the culprit.
Little red squirrels are common nest destroyers.

But in general, Blue Jays, Crows, squirrels, rodents (chipmunks and rats), weasels,
snakes, cats, hawks, are others that get into nests. Some chickadees may be in open areas where larger predators can get at them.

The leaving of the wings on your property, suggests a cat.

UpNorth, we have seen crows raid nests and throw the babies out..we watched across the the bay with binos when this happened in several trees within our range one day.
The popular Phoebe Allens hummingbird cam when it was up for several years, had a crow attack.

There are sources of natural alpaca hair, and natural cotton on Ebay affordably, which would not have a cat scent on the fibers. Just search "nesting materials" into their search.

I have the new book by Julie Zickefooose which is very interesting and contains many wonderful drawings and watercolors of baby birds. Here is my post about it:

She is a licensed bird rescuer and explains many issues with nesting and behavior, she has witnessed and enabled.

I agree it is a sad thing you have experienced...but it is common with nesting birds.
Thank you. We had seen a little brown bird trying to get into the birdhouse and the mother chickadee ferociously darted at and attacked this little brown bird. It happened so fast that I couldn't see what kind of bird it was but last year, a wren had made a nest in this birdhouse.

It was a rather violent attack because almost the entire nest was ripped right out of the tiny hole in the birdhouse. The hole is no bigger than a quarter but I suppose a cat could have reached an arm into it.

I've learned my lesson, I am putting this birdhouse in a place that is less accessible than the railing on my deck. Honestly, I had put it as decoration, thinking it was too close to the house for a bird to use.

However, all the birds and animals you mentioned, aside from the rat,weasel and hawk have been in my yard this last week. We have had an inordinate amount of blue jays, squirrels and crows around for some odd reason. Even some lovely woodpeckers and warblers we have yet to identify.

Overall, a really beautiful spring in the Northeast.

Thanks for all the info Mrs D.
Diandra is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote