Thread: Dental issues
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2016, 08:19 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Tom,

The tooth was infected, thus the recommendation to root canal it or extract it. Irrelevant of symptoms, the tooth was sick. So it is a positive thing that you had it removed.

Based on your description I think you may be getting food packed in there when you eat. It only takes a minute or so for the discomfort or pain to set in after the food is packed in there. Over time, the packed food debris will rot and the socket becomes a perfect environment for infection.

I hate to tell you but processed starchy foods like crackers can get lodged in the socket and sit in there fermenting. Foods like nuts and seeds which don't get completely chewed can easily get stuck in the socket also.

I do not recommend that you use a Q-tip or anything else to clean out the socket because you can be pushing the debris further down into the socket. You also run the risk of contaminating the socket with bacteria from your hands. I also would not recommend that you brush the socket because the open wound, which is deep and into the jaw bone, is then being exposed to the germs and debris on the tooth brush. Not only that, the bristles of the brush are irritating to the tender unhealed tissue.

The liver clot ...... if this site is still developing clots after 2 weeks, then that could mean that the impaction of food, the q tip and the tooth-brushing of the extraction site could be disturbing the clots that keep forming. That's why they keep forming. The blood clot is not meant to be disturbed.

It is BEST to eat foods that are not going to get packed into the socket and rinse vigorously with warm salt water 3-4 times a day as a means of flushing out any debris that gets caught in the socket to avoid impaction.

If you feel that you are developing an infection in that area, then see your dentist again. Tell him about the food impaction and the q tip cleaning as he may want to look a bit further and may or may not irrigate it with saline.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeputt View Post
I just tried cleaning the socket with a wet q-tip and got lots of stuff out. Some of it looked like blood but the socket is much cleaner now. I used salt water and the pain seems to be gone for the minute. I am wondering if I need to go back and let them take a look to see if any infection has set in. It does not look the same as the other two but like I mentioned when cleaning it with the wet q-tip and using salt water it does look and feel much better. I would think it should not still be hurting after almost two weeks but I could be wrong. Like I mentioned. I wish now I would have just left this tooth in because it never give me any trouble in the past. The lady dentist did not see the need for a root canal but dentist #2 showed me on his x-rays it did need treating. I should have just waited until it started giving me problems. Now it is and I am not happy about all this at all. Go in feeling good and now after two weeks I am not. Oh well, I will give them a call and let them make the decision for me. Tom

***I have been in the dental profession for 4 decades. I am an educator and Certified Dental Assistant extensively experienced in chair side assisting and dental radiography. The information that I provide here is my opinion based on my education and professional experience. It is not meant to be taken as medical advice.***
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote