Old 05-24-2016, 08:25 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diandra
Thank you. We had seen a little brown bird trying to get into the birdhouse and the mother chickadee ferociously darted at and attacked this little brown bird. It happened so fast that I couldn't see what kind of bird it was but last year, a wren had made a nest in this birdhouse.

It was a rather violent attack because almost the entire nest was ripped right out of the tiny hole in the birdhouse. The hole is no bigger than a quarter but I suppose a cat could have reached an arm into it.

I've learned my lesson, I am putting this birdhouse in a place that is less accessible than the railing on my deck. Honestly, I had put it as decoration, thinking it was too close to the house for a bird to use.

However, all the birds and animals you mentioned, aside from the rat,weasel and hawk have been in my yard this last week. We have had an inordinate amount of blue jays, squirrels and crows around for some odd reason. Even some lovely woodpeckers and warblers we have yet to identify.

Overall, a really beautiful spring in the Northeast.

Thanks for all the info Mrs D.
I think you have something there! Male wrens have been seen destroying other nests....

Here is a story about that:

Doesn't explain the dead adult chickadee though.
I think wrens like to nest near humans because that reduces predators in general..but not from their own species!

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Diandra (05-25-2016), kiwi33 (05-24-2016)