View Single Post
Old 05-25-2016, 12:04 AM

8 yr Member

8 yr Member

I too used to come on these boards looking for answers for my son. What I was truly looking for was hope.

I was so scared for him. It wasn't that the doctors didn't want to help him--they all really did try. They just didn't know was how to help him. There were too many symptoms, so he was a "complex and interesting case".

I saw all of the posts on here that were discouraging functional neurology. I saw them and they built my skepticism. I saw that it does not work for everybody. I know most insurances do not cover it. But I also knew that our experiences with medical doctors were getting us nowhere either. They already diagnosed him. No surgery or medicine was going to fix him. It was clear to me that this was all about getting hm the right rehab.

I researched functional neurology more. I talked to many others whom it did work for, and am thankful for them sharing their stories. Because their stories led me to Dr. Carlson. And she saved my son.

Danny, please call her. She understands this injury--diagnosis to rehab. My son went off all drugs, she did not zap his tongue or any other weird treatment (although, honestly, we would have if she told us to--maybe that is one of her therapies I have no idea).

The rehab was hard work. There was lots of homework and I had my doubts at the beginning. But then, just like she said, we started seeing improvements just about daily. She gave him small goals and honest timelines for each of those goals. She gained our trust, listened to our concerns and encouraged him at each visit. Her confidence In him was there at every visit and he sensed it. He knew she believed in him.

I am sure there are many different abilities and levels of knowledge in functional neurology (as there are with all doctors). When I read the negative comments about functional neurology, I just cringe because I wonder how many people on here are not seeking it out because of the negativity.

But call Dr. Carlson because you have nothing to lose by doing so. She will be honest if she can't help you. She was worth every second and every penny.

We are now 4 months of my son being symptom free. His confidence is back. He is just about to get honor roll for his 3rd trimester in a row. He is back to sports (non-contact--not worth the risk). He's going to be ok.
NeverGiveUp4MySon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Wiix (05-25-2016)