View Single Post
Old 07-07-2007, 01:01 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Cool Let me introduce myself!

Hi all! I am a Brit with PD/parkinsonism and have EnglishCountryDancer to thank for alerting me to the existence of this site The UK PDS has only a few months ago started a Forum but it is very "freehand" so it is great to see how a similar venture has developed across the pond

I am fairly new to PD. I was not aware of any symptoms and in fact felt fit, well, energetic (working full-time ) and was otherwise healthy, having just returned to the UK from visiting chums in Florida, until 30 March 2006. On that day I had minor breast surgery. At the time I was taking anti-nausea medications and coming round some days post-op knew something very peculiar had happened as I couldn't remember how to move. Once home I remained stumbly, clumsy etc etc and my GP (family doctor in UK) referred me to a neurologist who immediately diagnosed either a drug-induced parkinsonism or PD itself. Time passed, I became slower than a slow-thing and remained stiff, clumsy etc so by the fourth neuro app in August 2006 I was started on Sinemet Plus (the frequency has been upped several times since). Gallbladder surgery in December saw me being again cared for on a high-dependency basis for 6 days (my system, really really doesn't like anaesthetic drugs it would seem!!!) and after this my balance became affected so I started using a stick. I am now also on low-dose Rotogotine but continue stiff, slow, not so much tremor-y, clumsy, stumbling and have to concentrate on everything I do, so fatigue is a big deal!

I live alone with my dog, have no family and am mostly housebound but don't really mind - thanks to the internet I can keep in touch with friends on a daily basis (and NASA TV on the web means I get my "fix" of Shuttle/ISS news!!!) and through the web and television I still feel very much a part of the real world. I can still drive short distances no problem, so my dog and I visit the different parks in the area for our afternoon walks and I treat myself to the occasional browse round a supermarket! These days most major food stores in the UK let you order online for home delivery and this is an absolute bonus! One feels very grand not having to carry shopping (the fact I can't is irrelevant!).

Also, because I look younger than my years, the fact I use a stick just suggests to others that I have a bad leg while giving me the confidence that I won't tip over!

I have found that how you present yourself to others is how you are treated. I don't like the "poor you" (with the head tilt) reaction, so I tend to sidestep discussion of what is wrong with me with all except those closest to me.

OK, apologies for such a long introduction - I got a bit carried away!

There is a lot for me to read in to here on NeuroTalk - so thank you for letting me join!

brockie

P.S. I tend to refer to my condition as parky bo11ox - please let me know if such a reference might be considered offensive here!
brockie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote